Skip to main content

Bingo!

So, today. I had the opportunity to visit with the folks at CrossFit Bingo. 

I can't speak enough kindnesses about Darrell, Cory, Randy and the whole crew at CrossFit Bingo.  Their new facility is absolutely gorgeous.  

Visiting another box has this unique way of introducing humility.  You are with a ton of athletes of varying talents, and regardless of what your abilities actually are, often, ego overtakes.  When I travel to these various boxes, I want to represent my gym well, and sometimes, in my mind, that translates to being able to lift something heavier than what I actually can.  

After yesterdays workout at my own box, CrossFit Cleveland - West, I woke up this morning sore.  Double Unders are a particular weakness for me and are very challenging, and were a huge part of yesterdays workout.  

Having traveled to CrossFit Bingo, when I saw 'OHS' on the board, I felt an impending sense of doom. The walls closed in.  Because of a previous untreated injury to my right rotator cuff and the limited mobility of my shoulders as a result, i have a great deal of difficulty with the overhead position.  I started off with 75 pounds, a weight which, a few weeks ago, while definitely challenging didn't present difficulty in an overhead position.  Within minutes, I realized this simply was outside of the realm of possibility, and dropped to 55. By the end of it, I was down to 35 pounds, which was "easy", comparatively.  While this might be indicative of a personal weakness, I think the more important lesson is self awareness.  I can only speak for myself when I say that I sometimes so badly want to achieve something that any self awareness goes out the window.  

The beautiful thing about CrossFit is, it is universally scalable.  I was reminded of the mechanics, consistency, intensity charter tonight, and while something that I'd apply to any athlete in my position, I often fail to apply to myself.  

Getting to the point, I want to be a better athlete, and I want to be a good coach.  I just have to keep trying.  

My wife said something to me yesterday that inspired me a great deal.  Amanda said that no matter what the workout, I always look enthusiastic (specifically referencing yesterdays workout of double unders).  I'm glad for that, because in reality, I am enthusiastic. I view each WOD as a stepping stone, a chance to get better than the last.  But I wish it actually translated better in to action.  There's a number of outside factors that influence that, but fuck it, I'll keep trying. 

While todays lesson left me feeling broken and bruised, I would be a liar if I said I didn't appreciate it.  CrossFit Bingo and company are definitely worth a visit.  Darrell "Bingo" White, Randy White, Cory and the community they have fostered were great, and it was such an awesome opportunity to learn from them and I hope that I'd have the opportunity to continue to learn from this clan again.  


“What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.” 
-Kurt Vonnegut

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is CrossFit a trend or a fad?

In a recent conversation with a friend, he mentioned that he felt CrossFit was a trend.  As evidence to that, he pondered the ability of the boxes local to us to stay in business. I considered for a moment that maybe CrossFit is just a trend, a fad that will eventually die out.   Perplexed, I asked him to let me get back to him. I researched this, I found a number of articles, which asserted that CrossFit was a trend or fad, as evidence, most cited CrossFit’s lack of specialization and it’s injury rate. Many of the authors of the articles of course had never tried CrossFit; some provided reasoning for never having tried it, others asserted that witnessing such workouts or their experience in other fitness venues gave them standing to complain of CrossFit.   I found myself a rabid CrossFitter ready to defend against some of these allegations, and the idea that CrossFit is a “trend” or “fad”.             Dictionary.com respectively defines the word meanings relevant to popular cultu

For my son.

For you, my son, I want: Love: I want you to know unconditional love. Pride: I want you to be proud of who you are. Understanding: I've never been great at understanding. Seek first to understand, then to be understood.  To know disappointment: but to learn and grow from it. To know how to utilize fear; let it be part of the toolbox. To know and love music. To be in touch with your emotions. To ask for help and open up when you need it. You'll always have a confidant in me.  To train yourself physically. I never realized the importance of body until I had done much damage. Treat your "vehicle" well and know that with hard work it is capable of great feats. Train yourself mentally. The human brain is also capable of great things and is of the utmost importance.  To know and understand your spiritual self. The trifecta of body, mind and spirit will make you the best you. To know true happiness.  To ask for help. With what you want. With what you need.  How

What Happened?!

I remember one time I was doing some "smash" therapy with a 25 pound dumbbell and in the middle of doing so, I dropped the weight to the ground.  25 pounds. On the floor.  It made a deafening thud, and you, drinking water, skittered out of the kitchen, puffing yourself as large as you possibly could and made a sound. The sound, paired with the look in your eyes could only be interpreted as "what happened?" I too, now, sitting on this couch, looking at your lifeless body wrapped in a pink blanket am left to ask that question. I remember the day we got you, Amanda and I ventured to the Lakewood Animal Shelter. When we got there, we asked if any cats were available. At first, they told us no. You were in quarantine to ensure that you were healthy before they adopted you out. But, then he said "Well, I have one neutered male who's ready to be adopted tomorrow. Would you like to take a look at him?". We nodded. And they brought you to us, and pl